Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Mama Please No....

I took the girls in a few weeks ago for their six month dental check up and cleaning. No cavities for either one of them, SWEET! Well, then he sat next to me and began to go over Madie's x-rays and I knew it couldn't be good. He showed me how crowded her mouth was and all the teeth that were trying to come in, and wouldn't be able to. So he referred us to an orthodontist, wasn't thrilled. So I scheduled an appointment the next morning with an orthodontist that he recommended. We visit him and Madie is actually not as upset about it, and actually getting excited. I am not when I find out it's going to cost us $2600. Anyways they will be putting four brackets on the top and four on the bottom teeth. Then they will put a spring on each side connecting to an expansion device on her back tooth. She will keep these on for twelve months and we will go in every four to six weeks to have it tightened, and this will "hopefully" avoid a full set later. Okay so when I came home I talked to a friend whose daughter had the same thing last year, and she referred me to her dentist for a consult. They told me over the phone it was only $1300 and she would only wear them for four to six months, which I found odd they could tell over the phone. So again I set another appointment and got my mom to watch Payton so I could give the orthodontist my full attention.
We get to the office at 3:29pm and they take us back right at 3:30pm, and we literally walked out of that office at 3:36pm. So I am a little irritated because the last orthodontist sat and discussed treatment and everything for like fourty five mins. This whole process of getting ready, early dismissal, driving, and everything took two hours and he only gave me four minutes with him. Now here is the amusing part....When I go back they did ZERO x-rays, and I asked how he could tell her plan of treatment and he said he could just see it. Anyways we go to leave and as soon as we walk out Madie grabs my arm and whispers "Mama I don't wanna be rude but his breath smelled really bad I could even taste it, please let me go see the other doctor, I know he is more expensive but please"! I try not to laugh because believe me I noticed his breath, but I didn't find it appropriate for her to see me laugh too. Then she told me how his hands were in her mouth with no gloves, his nails were all yellow, and he had a hairy back! I began to die laughing because poor girl!! So needless to say I know this orthodontist was half the price of the other but there is no way I would do that to her. Despite the fact that I personally didn't care for him, I wouldn't want someone that close to my face with stinky breath either, so I am not going to make her suffer through it! I told Bryan I would get one more opinion because Bryan said his opinion didn't count as one. So I made a final appointment, but we really liked the first one so we shall see after next week. I just pray this one wears gloves and actually practices good oral hygiene!

No comments: