Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Tooting My Own Horn...

Well, it's probably no surprise to most of you how we recycle almost everything in our home, and discuss wasting with the girls frequently. So I decided I was going to take on a challenge, and try to get the school to implement recycling in the classroom, and cafeteria. So I had to get approval through the administration building before I could even take it to the principal, which I received on Monday. So today I got approval from the principal to implement the program at Madie's school!! In December they will have their team member meeting, which is the lead teacher in each grade, and she wants me to work out the specifics with the teachers then. I am so excited! I even volunteered to do all the leg work if I needed to, ex: picking up the trash cans for the classrooms, make the recycle signs, put the signs on the cans, and etc. I also will have to get with the city to have a big recycle bin delivered to the school, and get the on the trash day pick up. I talked to a few fellow PTA board members, and they are all excited to offer their help. I think it's important to teach the kiddos the benefits, and consequences if we don't recycle. Just because it's discussed in our home doesn't mean every child knows the importance. So needless to say I am super excited, and can't wait to hear what the teachers have to say about it! Seeing as to the PTA does so much for them, they are usually on board with whatever we want to do, especially if we are doing the work. I am sure they will accept it, and even help with it! I think it would be awesome if the whole district implements this in all the schools, over 13,000 students!!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That is awesome! Keep it up! Next year I will help you!

My Three Sons said...

Hello, I'm not quite sure how I came across your blog but I did and I wanted to introduce myself. I have read through your blog and you have a beautiful family. I have three boys that keep me very busy as well.

I think that is great that you were able to get a recycling deal going with your school. I am a little surprised that there wasn't one in place already. So kuddo's to you. That is wonderful that one person can step up and take action to get something so important done.

I'm a firm believer in recycling our cans, magazines, junk mail and such.

Please stop by and say hello sometime.

Kaci

MommaDJane said...

Congrats on conquering the goal you set forth! Way to go... That is such a great idea for the elementary school to take part in recycling. You would think they would have already started that, great job on putting it into action.